Taught by Carol Armstrong
This quilt was originally designed for the 2016 Riley Blake Challenge at HMQS. As I studied the design, it was evident that it could be a one of a kind quilt depending on the fabrics used. It has been simplified from the original pattern to teach at Winter Quiltfest 2017. It allows you to
create your own quilt using your creative process in selecting a floral fabric and adding other fabrics that enhance the design. Fabric and color choices are unlimited in a quilting market that has so much variety. You may already have fabric that you have been waiting to use for that
special quilt. Come have fun creating your one of a kind Botanical Quilt.
Pattern will be available in class $10 (payable to the teacher)
- 1 1/2 yard total for Small Diamonds (62 each) 14 - 16 different fabrics. You can get 4 diamonds from 6” x width of fabric (42” )
- 1 yard for the Center medallion, Side Triangles and Corner Triangles (Apricot)
- 2-3 Fat Quarters of floral fabrics to fussy cut for the Center Medallion area.
- 1 yard for the Sashing (152 each) I used the same fabric except around the center medallion. You can get 8 cuts from 1 1/2 inches x width of fabric if you use a solid fabric. (Medium blue) If you use a different color around the medallion, you will need 1/8 yard cut (Pink)
- 1/4 yard for the Posts (90 each) You can get 20 posts from 1 1/2 inches x width of fabric using a solid. (Dark blue)
- 1/4 yard for the Small border You need 6 cuts of 1 inch by width of fabric (Dark apricot)
- 1 1/4 yard for the Large border You need 6 cuts of 6 1/2 inch by width of fabric (floral fabric)
- 2/3 yard for binding fabric (Dark blue)
- 3 1/3 yards for backing fabric (Dark blue)
- 1/2 yard fusible product such as Wonder Under or Light Steam a Seam II. (You will not need this in class).
Class and Notion Requirements:
- Wrights EZ Quilting Acrylic Tool, 60 degree Diamond. 4 1/2” Darlene Zimmerman. Find online or at your quilt store. This template will make your cutting so much easier for the diamonds, the sashing, and the posts. Wait to cut until class time to make sure you have the right template. Other templates will be included in the pattern.
- Straight acrylic ruler 3 x 12 or similar size
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Sewing machine and thread to match or a neutral color
- Fine sewing pins, scissors, and any other personal sewing item you might need